A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, August 13, 2005

Who'd have thought?

Who could guess the famously liberal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals would rule this way?

Appeals Court Rejects Illegal Immigrants' Bid to Challenge Prop 200:

An appeals court has rejected a bid by illegal immigrants to overturn Arizona's Proposition 200, which requires the state to verify the immigration status of people applying for benefits and services they are not allowed to receive under federal law.

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals dismissed their challenge on the grounds that the illegal immigrants had no legal standing. (emphasis added)
Finally, someone gets this right.

"We are delighted the Ninth Circuit has rejected this naked attempt to place the interests of illegal immigrants ahead of the democratic will of U.S. citizens in Arizona," said Dan Stein, president of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, in a press release.

"The question of legal standing has long been a barrier to American citizens seeking redress in the courts when their interests have been harmed by mass illegal immigration," Stein said.

"It is reassuring that the Ninth Circuit recognized illegal immigrants, as a class, should not have any more rights than citizens do, as a class. We believe even if the court had granted standing to the illegal aliens challenging Proposition 200, it would have been upheld on constitutional grounds," Stein added.