A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, July 12, 2005

And you should see him walk on water!

Bill Clinton is planning to solve the world's woes---at least he isn't planning to do it singlehandedly.

Bill Clinton plans private summit on global woes:

"It's unrealistic to think all the world's problems will be solved only by government actions," he said at his home in suburban New York.

"If I were president and I had a Congress that was two-thirds Democrat and we were starting with a budget surplus of prosperity, there would still be needs in the world I would like to see met that the American government could not meet entirely," he said.

"If you're a nongovernmental organization or a corporation, you can say, 'I'm going to do this and do it now."'

The Clinton Global Initiative, to be held Sept. 15-17 in New York to coincide with the United Nations' General Assembly, eyes four topics -- poverty, corruption, climate change and religious and ethnic reconciliation.
Ha ha ha! And I love how he says, "If I were president and I had a Congress that was two-thirds Democrat . . ." We all know he would LOVE to run for president again. Too bad (for him, thank God for us) that isn't going to happen.

Further, why should the United States use any potential budget surplus on the world? Shouldn't the government give the money back to the people it belongs to? Those of us who pay taxes? Like President Bush did?

And what exactly is Bill Clinton going to accomplish? He had 8 years as the most powerful man in the world and didn't even make a dent! Well, to be fair, he was really good at corruption.