A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Burning Garage of Fire

I'm up quite early today, unfortunately! We were all awakened around 4am by a fire across the alley. It wasn't very big, but we called the Fire Department because it was obviously deliberately set. Only after it was out did we notice a much bigger fire about 1/2 a block away, consuming a garage and shed.

The Spokane Fire Department, on the way to the (now eliminated) one in our alley, stopped at the rapidly-increasing-in-size fire. We went over to watch. Three or four fire trucks, and assorted Fire Department vehicles, all arrived on the scene. The heat was pretty intense, though, really, the fire wasn't that big (well, big enough to consume a garage and shed). I ran back and got the digital camera. There were some trees blocking my view and the Fire Department put up Fire-Do-Not-Cross tape, so I couldn't get any really good shots. The Firemen did an excellent job. The local media showed up at various times (but, thankfully, never asked to talk to any of us!) The Arson Investigator arrived shortly before I came home.

Here are some of the pictures I took:









Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I don't think I will bother going to bed again, as I was going to get up earlier than usual anyway. So far, the local media hasn't got much about the story up on their websites. I just thought I would blog about it, since I am up and wide awake. Quite a lot of drama for such an early morning.

Our thanks to the Spokane Fire Department!