A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bricks Received

Remember the Send-A-Brick Project?

Well, here's the effect of our efforts:

Rocky Mountain News: Lawmakers get hard messages---

WASHINGTON - Sometimes, mail call hits Congress like a ton of bricks - literally.

One by one, opponents of illegal immigration have been sending lawmakers real, red bricks with angry messages written on the side: "Build a wall. Deport them all."

While hundreds of thousands of activists took to the streets Monday, lawmakers in Washington dealt with an increase in mail from supporters of a get-tough approach to illegal immigration.

Sen. Wayne Allard, R-Colo., laughed about the heavy bricks he has found in his in-box, saying he'll have to weigh them against the letters and calls he receives from both sides.

"The question I have is, how do they get that through security?" Allard said. "The second thing is, how did they afford the postage? Now that is a motivated citizen."

Allard and his fellow Coloradan, Democratic Sen. Ken Salazar, both have expressed concerns about illegal immigrants and their supporters staying away from their jobs or skipping school.
[. . .]
One letter, which was wrapped around a brick and mailed to the senator, says: "I can't take a day off from work to go stand in the street and protest all day long like an illegal immigrant. But I did have time to send you this brick so that you could get started building a wall between the U.S. and Mexico."

The writer, whose name was redacted by Allard's staff, warned that he would oppose any politicians who vote to give "amnesty" to illegal immigrants.

It was signed, "Mad as hell."
Mr. "Mad as hell" makes excellent points.

If you would like to send a brick to your elected "representative," click on this picture (and then let us know that you are sending one!):



(Curtsy to the Drudge Report)

Technorati Tags: , , ,