A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, April 28, 2006

United 93

Today the film United 93 is out in theaters. If you don't know already, this movie tells the heroic tale of United Airlines Flight 93 on September 11, 2001. The passengers of Flight 93 decided to take their fates into their own hands. From their phone calls with family members and various other means, we know that they fought the terrorist hijackers and somehow brought the plane down in a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. It's destination (the terrorist's destination) was somewhere in the Capitol---possibly the White House. The courage of the passengers ought to be remembered. They did what Americans have always done: banded together in the worst time and did what they could. God bless them and their families.

Some people might think it is too soon for a 9/11 movie. I think it has taken too long. People have forgotten what happened on that horrifying day. People no longer care that we were attacked, out of the blue, and that there are wicked terrorists out there who will do anything to bring us down . . . if we don't stop them first. I'm glad to see a good movie which doesn't gloss over the facts.

I have heard from various outlets that United 93 is a very well told movie and steers clear of the typical Hollywood trend of making Americans the bad guys and the Muslim terrorists the poor, oppressed people. I'm glad to hear it and I plan to see this movie.

I have also heard that by the end, people are sobbing. I know I will be.

And, I believe doing so is good for us. We need to be reminded of the PAIN of that day and the mournful days that followed.

It is the duty of every patriotic American to go see this film. Our fellow Americans died in an effort to save our Capitol. They died because they were Americans. The least we can do to honor their memory is see a movie about them. We also need to encourage Hollywood to make movies like this. Even if the film isn't perfect, it is a much better representation than usual.

I was listening to Rush Limbaugh recently. He rarely has guests on, but that day he had Debra Burlingame on for quite awhile. Debra is the sister of Chic Burlingame, who was the pilot of Flight 93 on 9/11. She is a big presence for the 9/11 families and has been actively involved. Debra Burlingame has already seen the film and urges people to go. She spoke about how she won't be surprised if there are people crying and sobbing at the end of the movie.

Here is the official movie website.

You'll find the "Flight 93 National Memorial" Page here. Donate some money.

National Review Editor Rich Lowry has a column on this movie: 9/11 Unvarnished.

Cal Thomas has a column about it as well: Flight 93: Do we still care?

Kevin has a great post at The Amboy Times.

Michelle Malkin posted on THE HIJACKING OF UNITED 93...AGAIN? and links to

Libertas has some information on how the ending of the film was PC'd. Sad.

Technorati Tags: , ,