A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, April 22, 2006

Patriotism is Patriotism

But, not according to John Kerry. He thinks dissent is patriotism. Worse, "wartime dissent" is patriotism.

Washington Post: Wartime Dissent Is Part Of Patriotism, Kerry Says---

Thirty-five years after Massachusetts Sen. John F. Kerry (D) appeared before a Senate committee to call for an end to the war in Vietnam, he defended that decision yesterday in a speech in his home town and linked it to his current insistence on an early drawdown of troops from Iraq.

Kerry, in remarks delivered in Boston's Faneuil Hall Marketplace, cast dissent in wartime as a patriotic act -- a response to Republican critics who insist that questioning the conduct of the war in Iraq emboldens America's enemies.

"I believed then, just as I believe now, that it is profoundly wrong to think that fighting for your country overseas and fighting for your country's ideals at home are contradictory or even separate duties," he said. "They are, in fact, two sides of the very same patriotic coin."

Yesterday's address was the latest move in Kerry's shadow presidential campaign, launched in the aftermath of his 2004 defeat by President Bush. In a series of speeches, guest columns and television appearances, Kerry has sought to right what many Democrats regard as the defects of that race by outlining a clear exit strategy for Iraq and vowing to fight back against GOP attacks on his and other Democrats' patriotism. Kerry's aggressive attitude is also aimed at wooing liberal voters for a potential presidential bid in 2008.
Apparently John Kerry doesn't realize that back when Bostonians (and others) were fighting the British in the Revolutionary War, the people who dissented were called "LOYALISTS," meaning they were loyal to the Crown of England.

And apparently at Kerry's hoity-toity college, they don't teach the definition of the word "patriotism" correctly:

Patriotism: pa·tri·ot·ism (ptr--tzm)
n.
Love of and devotion to one's country.
Hmmm, I don't see anything about dissent . . . or hatred of one's country. In fact, just the opposite.

Patriotism is Patriotism. There's no wiggle-room.

Technorati Tags: , , ,