A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, March 18, 2006

Go Navy-Fight Pirates!

Funny that the US Navy is doing the same thing it probably did a couple hundred years ago: fight pirates. One would think pirates would have passed into a bygone era. But, no.

Reuters: US Navy kills, wounds suspected pirates off Somalia---

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two U.S. Navy ships returned fire on Saturday on a group of suspected pirates off the coast of Somalia, killing one and wounding five, Navy officials said.

The incident occurred in the Indian Ocean about 25 miles off the coast of Somalia as the USS Cape St. George, a guided missile cruiser, and the USS Gonzalez, a guided missile destroyer, conducted maritime security operations.

A vessel was seen towing two smaller skiffs, the officials said. As boarding teams prepared to conduct a routine boarding, the Navy ships noticed the suspected pirates brandished what appeared to be rocket-propelled grenade launchers.

The suspected pirates then opened fire on the Navy ships. The two ships returned fire with small arms, the officials said.

One suspected pirate was killed and a fire ignited aboard the main vessel. The boarding teams took 12 other suspects, including the five who were injured, into custody, they said.

The boarding teams also confiscated a rocket-propelled grenade launcher and automatic weapons, the officials said.

No U.S. sailors were wounded in the incident.
Excellent action. :)