A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Thursday, March 16, 2006

Why not move to a foreign country then?

Back in Fall 2003, I was writing a Conservative political column for my college newspaper. My first column was about Ruth Ginsburg. She had given a speech at a local college (or something) about how the United States Supreme Court (and judiciary in general) ought to look at foreign laws before making rulings.

I said that was a ridiculous idea, as we left those countries to start our own country, free of foreign entanglements (didn't George Washington remind us to stay clear of foreign entanglements?).

Unfortunately, two-and-a-half years later, Ginsburg is still droning on and on about consulting foreign laws for US court decisions (perhaps she puts herself to sleep?).

Over at And Another Thing . . ., Mark Levin has excerpts from a recent speech of Ginsburg's and corrects the lies. (Mark also posted about a speech by Justice Scalia yesterday, in which he said judges aren't better qualified than normal citizens to answer moral questions. Excellent point.)

Michelle Malkin asks Whose Laws Do We Live By?. Good question. I was under the assumption that we lived in the United States of America and lived under the United States of America's laws. Of course, looking at all the illegal aliens who invade and get away with it, one might be tempted to think we are part of Mexico (wait, I believe I heard Mexico's southern border is militarized, to prevent Guatemalans from illegally invading).

Update-17 March 2006: K T Cat has a great post about foreign laws we would have to consider if we went with Ruth's crazy notion.