A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, February 14, 2006

St. Valentine's Day Musings

Here are some items related to Valentine's Day, from around the internet (will be updated during the day):

Over at the always terrific Stop the ACLU, Jay has posted about: Muslims Advised Not To Celebrate Valentines. Good old "St. Valentine was an enemy of Islam."

Valentine or Valentinus took part in planning and attacking Cordoba, once a well-known centre of Islam in Spain, causing its downfall.
Good for him.

Over at National Review, they have a number of articles, including:

Two Symposiums
Women We Love
Men We Love

And: Cons in Love: Love in the conservative world, which includes recommendations of two of my favorites, Jane Austen's Persuasion and, my absolute favorite, Pride and Prejudice.

Catholic Encyclopedia's article on St. Valentine.

Send Catholic St. Valentine's Day e-cards here.

St.Valentine's.net has recipes, romantic songs and verses, traditions, history, quotes, jokes, and links to e-cards.

Learn about Victorian Valentines here.

Send Victorian Valentines here.

Angel has a poem Dedicated To a FighteR for Valentine's Day.