A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, February 12, 2006

An Almost Storybook Finish

I was watching the Men's 30 km Pursuit (Cross-Country Skiing) earlier today and saw something amazing.

Right at the beginning of the race, one of the favorites, defending Olympic Gold Medalist (from 2002), Norway's Frode Estil, and a number of other skiers went down.

Estil got up again, but seemed a bit shaken up. He skied a bit, but then had to have a ski adjusted. By that time he was behind the huge pack of skiers.

His two teammates managed to get to the front of the pack and slowed the pace a bit.

Estil was able, by sheer determination and skill, to pass some 60 men and near the front. It was simply amazing.

The race was extremely exciting, much more exciting than I would have thought cross-country skiing (and the long distance) could be.

At the end, a couple of Italians appeared to be in place for the Gold and Silver. Then, Estil and others powered to the front.

A Russian finished first, but Frode Estil finished with the Silver Medal.

It really was an amazing effort on his part. To come from 45 seconds back is a stupendous achievement and ought to be trumpted.

This is the sort of thing the Olympics are all about: teamwork, determination, perseverance, and strength. Estil could have cursed everyone around him and given up. Instead, he took responsibility for his own race and claimed the Silver Medal.

Congratulations to Frode Estil! That's an Olympian.