A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, January 21, 2006

Making Castro Mad

Who isn't for that? Oh, other than Liberals and Fellow Communists (but I repeat myself).

Reuters: Lech Walesa addresses Cuba dissidents---

HAVANA (Reuters) - U.S. diplomats arranged for Cuban dissidents to get a pep talk from former Polish President Lech Walesa on Saturday in the latest chapter of Washington's long-running ideological battle against President Fidel Castro's communist government.

"The system will fall because nobody believes in communism," said Walesa, the founder of Poland's Solidarity movement which toppled Poland's communist government and led to the collapse of Soviet influence in Eastern Europe.

"You are close to your goal," he said in Warsaw in a videoconference with dissidents gathered at the Havana home of the top U.S. diplomat in Cuba, Michael Parmly.

The videoconference came five days after the seafront U.S. Interests Section set up a ticker along its upper windows to flash human rights messages and news headlines to Cubans in bright red lights.

The messages included "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up" from U.S. civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr's famed 1963 speech.

This infuriated Castro. "I have to analyze what is happening at the Interests Section, the barbarous things and provocations that are going on," he said in a television address on Friday.