A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, December 07, 2005

"So Help Us God"

As I was re-reading FDR's Pearl Harbor speech, I was struck by this passage:

As commander in chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense. But always will our whole nation remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe that I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost, but will make it very certain that this form of treachery shall never again endanger us.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory, and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph -- so help us God.
It is essentially what President Bush has been saying since the attacks of 9/11.

Can you imagine liberals reacting to FDR the way they reacted to GWB?

They would never have joined with the Japanese in their efforts to discredit FDR the way Liberals have essentially joined with the terrorists to discredit George W. Bush.

These words of FDR's apply just as easily to the War on Terror. Our people, country, and interests are in grave danger. We the People, and our representatives in Congress, were all for the War on Terror . . . at least the Liberals said they were for a short while after 9/11.

We mustn't forget, despite the MSM's and Democrat Party's shrieks, that "the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory" because "With confidence in our armed forces, with the unbounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph -- so help us God."