A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Thursday, December 15, 2005

Not My Senator

I don't know how long ago I e-mailed my (stupid) senator, Patty Murray, about the John Bolton Nomination, but I finally just received an e-mail response.

Here it is:

Thank you for contacting me about the nomination of John Bolton as ambassador to the United Nations. It was good to hear from you.

Today, more than ever, U.S. national interests are served by cooperation and constructive engagement with other nations. Our nation’s security, economic well being, and quality of life are impacted by our interaction with the rest of the world. Consequently, the United Nations serves as an essential forum for addressing international issues vital to American interests.

We must always recognize the importance of strong international relationships, especially with so many uncertainties in the world. And while we must never cede our national interest to an international body, our credibility and the quality of our relationships with other nations cannot be disregarded as unimportant in achieving our goals.

As you may know, Mr. Bolton’s performance as the Undersecretary of State for Arms Control and International Security was heavily criticized by both the media and his former diplomatic contemporaries. After interviewing a number of Mr. Bolton’s former associates, my colleagues and I came to the conclusion that Mr. Bolton’s managerial skills lacked the professional and even-tempered manner necessary for such a high ranking diplomatic position. Despite our deep reservations, the Administration chose to circumvent the Senate’ s confirmation process by invoking its Constitutional right to make recess appointments while the Senate was not in session.

With the many challenges we face in confronting security threats, we must be clear that we are willing and able to work with other nations to advance our security interests. Because the U.N. is such a critical part of our work in accomplishing this goal, appointing someone as controversial as John Bolton is problematic. Rest assured that while I am concerned with John Bolton’s recess appointment as U.N. ambassador, I will continue to support U.N. reforms and diplomatic solutions to best
ensure our nation’s security.

Again, thank you for contacting me about this matter. Please stay in touch.

Sincerely,

Patty Murray
United States Senator

P.S. I'd like to invite you to receive Patty Murray's Washington View, my weekly legislative update by e-mail. If you are interested in receiving my update, please sign up here: http://murray.senate.gov/updates (emphasis added)
Yes, I don't think I care to sign up for her little silly updates.

It is unfortunate that the stupid voters of Washington didn't realize that Patty Murray's stupidity ought to have kept her from being a U.S. Senator. She's done absolutely nothing for us, which cannot be said about John Bolton at the UN. I am so glad we have a tough, no-nonsense kind of man in the position of US Ambassador to the UN. The world doesn't need another namby pamby wuss there.

The Bush Administration (notice she never refers to the President?) had every right to appoint John Bolton as UN Ambassador during a recess. It happens all the time, especially when the Senate fails to do its Constitutional Duty.

And the part about not ceding our sovereignty to an international body is lip service. The Libs would like nothing better than for the United States of America to be subjugated to the World.

I hope someone kicks her out of office in 2010. Please, God!