A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, November 07, 2005

The Paper of False Record Gets Another One Wrong

As usual, the New York Times (the Paper of False Record) has got things wrong, this time about a Marine Corporal by the name of Jeffrey Starr.

According to the Fallen Heroes Memorial page for CPL Starr:

Starr died from small-arms fire while conducting combat operations against enemy forces near Ar Ramadi, Iraq. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, California. During Operation Iraqi Freedom his unit was attached to 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward). Died on May 30, 2005.
Michelle Malkin has had great coverage of what has happened since CPL Starr gave his life for his country.

First, to mark the 2,000 death of a military person in Iraq, on 26 October 2005, the NYT did a number of profiles, including one on CPL Starr.

Sifting through Corporal Starr's laptop computer after his death, his father found a letter to be delivered to the marine's girlfriend. ''I kind of predicted this,'' Corporal Starr wrote of his own death. ''A third time just seemed like I'm pushing my chances.''
Reading that, one would assume Starr disagreed with the reason he was there.

That is not the case. On 27 October 2005, Michelle received a letter from CPL Starr's uncle, Timothy Lickness.

It turns out, the NYT (the Paper of False Record) only printed a tiny portion of Starr's last letter, which was found on his laptop months after he was killed. He wrote the letter to his girlfriend, in case he died.

Here is a portion of it that truly represents CPL Jeffrey Starr's feelings on the War in Iraq:

Obviously if you are reading this then I have died in Iraq. I kind of predicted this, that is why I'm writing this in November. A third time just seemed like I'm pushing my chances. I don't regret going, everybody dies but few get to do it for something as important as freedom. It may seem confusing why we are in Iraq, it's not to me. I'm here helping these people, so that they can live the way we live. Not have to worry about tyrants or vicious dictators. To do what they want with their lives. To me that is why I died. Others have died for my freedom, now this is my mark.
CPL Starr knew why we are there, knew why he was over there fighting, and knew we were doing the right thing: fighting for freedom.

Of course, the NYT would prefer to create an entirely different picture. You can read the original NYT story here (reg. req.).

Starr's uncle also wrote a letter to the editor, which was published in the San Diego Union-Tribune. You can read it here.

Michelle has more on her readers correspondence with reporters from the NYT. Of course, the NYT people say they have portrayed CPL Starr fairly and a bunch of other nonsense.

And more.

And more. Michelle includes the contact information for the NYT, which still hasn't corrected the omission and errors. If you would like to contact them, please use the link.

Really, what else do we expect from the Paper of False Record, the New York Times?