A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, October 30, 2005

Well, since Harry says so!

AP: GOP Urges Bush on High Court Nomination

Rightfully so. After all, we did elect the President two consecutive times and got him a majority in the House and Senate.

Of course, Harry Reid doesn't think so. He still believes he has a say.

With the expectation that Bush probably will turn to a sitting judge, it was Alito's name that was mentioned often on the Sunday talk shows.

A judge on the Philadelphia-based 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Alito has been dubbed "Scalito" or "Scalia-lite" by some lawyers because his judicial philosophy invites comparisons to Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's.

"That is not one of the names that I've suggested to the president," Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told "Late Edition" on CNN. "In fact, I've done the opposite. I think it would create a lot of problems."

Reid said Bush would be making a "mistake" were he to settle on a hard-liner simply to appease the far right in his party, especially after conservatives' wrath undermined Miers' nomination.
Sorry, Harry! You weren't invited to the party, so don't think you can dictate the attendees.

Making judgements based on what the Constitution actually says, as opposed to creating "rights," doesn't create problems. Liberal activist judges create problems by making up new "rights," such as abortion and gay marriage.

We don't need more problems like those.

And, another thing, "conservatives' wrath" did not undermine Miers' nomination. Her lack of qualifications did that.