A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, October 29, 2005

You can't be too paranoid!

Just in time for Halloween, The Center for Consumer Freedom has released this press release:

Don't Get Tricked When You Hand Out Treats; Insist On The Obesity Liability Waiver

Because No One Wants A Lawsuit With Their Candy

Washington, DC – The Center for Consumer Freedom wishes the nation a guilt-free Halloween filled with candy bars, caramel apples, popcorn balls, lollipops, and all the treats of the holiday. Because of a ghoulish group of trial lawyers seeking to make obesity lawsuits their next cash cow, those handing candy out to the neighborhood kids might consider having the costumed cadre sign a legal waiver – our Halloween Liability and Indemnification Agreement. This indemnification includes an agreement not to haul treat-dispensers into court on the basis of:

Failure to provide nutritional information;
Failure to warn of potential for overeating because candy tastes too good and is provided at no cost;
Failure to offer healthier alternatives including, but not limited to, soy-based or sugar-free treats;
Failure to provide information about other venues serving alternative, healthier, Halloween treats; and
Failure to warn that eating may lead to obesity.
Read the rest here.

And, if you plan to hand out candy, don't forget to print out, make copies of, and hand out this Halloween Liability and Indemnification Agreement.