A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, October 30, 2005

Pardon me?

Who does Harry Reid think he is?

AP: Bush, Cheney Urged to Apologize for Aides---

WASHINGTON - Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid said Sunday that President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney should apologize for the actions of their aides in the CIA leak case.

Reid, D-Nev., also said Bush should pledge not to pardon any aides convicted as a result of the investigation into the disclosure of CIA officer Valerie Plame's identity.

"There has not been an apology to the American people for this obvious problem in the White House," Reid said. He said Bush and Cheney "should come clean with the American public."

Reid added, "This has gotten way out of hand, and the American people deserve better than this."
Why should Bush and Cheney apologize for something that hasn't been proved in a court of law, something they haven't done? Did Bill Clinton ever apologize for Mike Espy or anyone, for that matter? Sure, he finally apologized, if one could call it an apology, for lying about his affair with Monica. But that was only after he scolded America and told us "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky." What about the McDougals? What about all these people?

Further, President Bush shouldn't pardon any aides convicted in the Plame investigation? Why not? If they have "paid in full" for their crimes, then why can't they be pardoned?

Scooter Libby is no Marc Rich, you know.

Did Harry Reid criticize this?

Reid also said that Karl Rove, the president's closest political adviser, should step down. Rove has not been charged with a crime.
---
"I think Karl Rove should step down," Reid said. "Here is a man who the president said if he was involved, if anyone in the administration was involved, out they would go."
But, Harry, Karl Rove has not been charged, tried, or convicted with a crime. I'm afraid that being politically effective isn't actually a crime, as much as you wish it were.

"I think they're (the American people) as disappointed as I am .... almost dejected," Reid said.
How can anyone tell when Harry Reid is dejected or not? He always seems dejected to me.