A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, September 12, 2005

Well, since Oprah thinks so!

We all know that Oprah is an expert on absolutely everything, so I guess we should listen to her. She's only the most important person in the world!

IMDB.com---

Oprah: "America Needs To Apologize to Katrina Victims"

Chat show host Oprah Winfrey is furious over the way the victims of Hurricane Katrina have been treated, and believes America owes the survivors an apology. Winfrey cut short her summer break to host special episodes of her The Oprah Winfrey Show from the nation's devastated Gulf Coast and was horrified by the scenes which awaited her.
I'm pretty much horrified every time my remote control inadvertantly strays past Oprah's show. So much sappy emotion and blatant self-conceit on Oprah's part. It's all I can do not to "cast up my accounts."
Referring to the amount of time survivors had to wait for help, and those who died as they waited for help, she fumes, "I think... this country owes these people an apology. This makes me so mad. This should not have happened." Winfrey wore a gas mask as she toured New Orleans' now-empty Superdome, which housed thousands of people in disgusting conditions for several days.
She wore a gas mask? The people who were in the Superdome didn't have gas masks, Oprah.
She says, "Nothing I saw on television prepared me for what I experienced on the ground. I was sitting at home feeling frustrated and useless, like so many other people, so I came down to personally assess how I could best be of service."
Did anyone with authority ask you to come "personally assess" what you could do?

Heaven save us from such self-loving, know-it-all bigheads!