A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, September 11, 2005

Remembering Barbara Olson


One of my favorite Conservative political commentators was a woman named Barbara Olson. Barbara's husband was Bush Administration Solicitor General Ted Olson.

His birthday is September 11. In September 2001, Barbara was anticipating the publication of her second book The Final Days: The Last, Desperate Abuses of Power by the Clinton White House. She was supposed to fly out of Dulles on the evening of 10 September, but postponed her flight until the next day so she and Ted could have dinner for his birthday on the 10th and then have breakfast on the 11th.

On September 11, 2001, Barbara Olson got on American Airlines Flight 77, headed for Los Angeles. Of course, she never made it.

When the hijackers began to take over the plane, Barbara made two calls to her husband at his office. She told him what was going on and asked what he thought she should do.

As we all know, American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon at 9:45am (EST), killing all onboard, including Barbara Olson.

Ted Olson held a remembrance ceremony on 11 December 2001.


"We will never forget our loved ones who died or were injured on Sept. 11," Olson, the Bush administration's top lawyer, said at a remembrance ceremony at the Justice Department Tuesday.

He called those who died "walking, talking, living symbols of all that America stands for."
---
He called the hijackers "tyrants, bigots, zealots, and persecutors, so they hate American tolerance and freedom."

"Tens of thousands lost spouses children, parents, neighbors, co-workers and friends," Olson said.

"I say this for every American. We will fight this evil for as long as it takes," Olson said.
I've always thought it sad that we will never have another book from Barbara Olson. When I saw her on television she was always a tough opponent, but she was very friendly and personable at the same time.

I cried so much on 9/11, but since I knew Barbara's name and had seen her, I cried more.

Her second book had been scheduled to go to press only 2 days after 9/11, on September 13. The publisher put a dedication on the back cover, which you can read here.

I highly recommend reading The Final Days: The Last, Desperate Abuses of Power by the Clinton White House and her first book, Hell to Pay: The Unfolding Story of Hillary Rodham Clinton.