A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, September 25, 2005

Oh, goody!

Anyone surprised Blanco is asking for even more money?

Reuters: LA governor asks for $32 billion for repairs---

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (Reuters) - The governor of Louisiana, whose state was slammed by two powerful hurricanes in less than a month, said on Sunday she was asking the federal government for $31.7 billion to help rebuild the state's infrastructure.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco said she would ask Congress for $11.5 billion to rebuild the state's damaged transportation system, including rebuilding spans of a key interstate highway, damaged ports and airports.

She said she would seek $20.2 billion to rebuild and upgrade hurricane protection levees and pumping capacity from New Orleans to Morgan City, about 60 miles southwest.

Levees needing immediate repair and improvement include those around Lake Pontchartrain, which borders New Orleans, and all of those surrounding New Orleans, she said.
---
Rebuilding Louisiana will be a "massive undertaking," Blanco said at a news conference following a meeting with U.S. President George W. Bush in Baton Rouge.

"A great deal of our critical infrastructure is damaged," she said. "This is not something a small state like Louisiana can do by itself. Really, I don't think any state could accomplish the task ahead alone," she said.

"The challenge is so enormous that we cannot accomplish the rebirth of our state without the partnership of this president and this Congress."
Hmmm, I don't recall being asked to join this partnership. Neither President Bush nor Congress actually have that much money. It belongs to We the People.

And perhaps she doesn't realize her good buddy and fellow Dum-ocrat Mary Landrieu already demanded $250 billion of our money.

This is just great.