A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, September 12, 2005

More on Brainwashing

You can visit the "World's Longest Letter" site here.

Here are a few more examples of the brainwashing:

I hope that some day women will have the same rights as men. Like women football and baseball leagues. Maybe even a women president. If that happens, do you think one of your daughters could become president like you?
- Lisa Castore from Oak Lawn School, RI

I would like for you to make more softball teams for women so when I grow up I can still play softball. Some of my friends and I play together.
- Sami Story from Verner Elementary, AL

Lisa, women do have the same rights as men in the United States. Not all places have this. Take most Muslim countries, for example. Women have to wear veils, cannot drive cars, cannot be alone in the company of any men outside their family, and have no rights over their children.

Women in the U.S. have the same right to begin football and baseball leagues as men did. Women have tried, but most people (including women) prefer to watch men play those games. Sami, if you want a softball team, why not get some friends together and make up a league?

As for a woman president, heaven forfend. We would end up having "National PMS Day."

I wish there was no violence in this country. When I look at the news, and it's about people killing other people, it makes me sad. People should try to be nicer to each other.
- Kwesi from 74th Street Elementary School, CA
Yes, Kwesi, people should try to be nicer to each other. Unfortunately, nice people are nice to each other and mean people are mean to everyone.

I wish you could support stem cell research so people that get paralyzed and have other kinds of physical injury can get healed faster.
- Cody from Broadmoor Elementary School, LA
Cody, the President has supported stem cell research, even though those who elected him don't like it. He just doesn't support "embryonic stem cell research," which is when they use bits of murdered babies. Would it have been alright to murder you just to take your stem cells? Embryonic stem cells have not been proven to heal anything.

Of course, there are a few bright stars among the letters:

I think you should help the people that were in the tsunami so they can have food and shelter. Maybe you can have a coin drive. Morrice Elementary, my school, had a coin drive. We collected eight hundred dollars!
- Hannah from Morrice Elementary, MI

I eat cheesy grits for breakfast. If I could visit you in Washington, do you have grits? If not and you want us to visit, I will bring my grits to share.
- Prentice Aiken from Homeland Park Elementary, SC

I'm wondering if you think about adding a dinner hour to our school, and I would be delighted to stay until 6:00 pm.
- Rebecca Ines from Homeland Park Elementary, SC

Hopefully I will also be a Cancer doctor because children are dying from cancer and I don't like that.
- Bailey from Verner Elementary, AL

Mr. Bush I also think you should get rid of silly laws. You should replace or just get rid of them. An example of a silly law is: in Kentucky it is illegal to carry ice cream in your back pocket, isn't that silly?
- Alicia Persaud from Fairview Elementary, DE

I wish a president can be elected three times so he or she can finish the changes they want to make for the country.
- Tyler Dunning from Fairview Elementary, DE

My dreams for America are for us to win the war in Iraq and for the US army to be safe. I want my dad to have a safe trip back and to be able to come back soon. I feel sad about war because people are being killed, but I am happy because they are fighting for freedom.
- Tanner Shults from Fletcher Elementary, OK
And my favorite:
Who chooses your clothes everyday? I don't think the Secret Service does, and I think you may do it yourself. You always look nice.
- Nathan Ambrose from Homeland Park Elementary, SC