A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, August 17, 2005

"Honor me in this way"

CNN News: Marine's mother: Support the fight---

WEST CHESTER, Ohio (AP) -- The mother of a Marine killed in Iraq urged mourners Wednesday not to let their anger and sadness turn them against the U.S. fight in Iraq.

"Honor me in this way," Kathy Dyer said during a memorial service for Lance Cpl. Christopher J. Dyer, 19, of the Cincinnati suburb of Evendale.

At the funeral at Tri-County Baptist Church, Kathy Dyer delivered what she believed would have been her son's own message: "It has been with the greatest pride I have served ... fighting to preserve freedom."

She said he would want mourners to continue supporting the troops in the war against terrorism.

Dyer and eight other Marines from Columbus-based Lima Company were among 14 killed August 3 in the deadliest roadside bombing of U.S. troops in Iraq. The company is part of the Cleveland-based 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines, which has been hit hard by attacks that have killed 16 members in recent weeks.
This is a mother who is proud of her son, of her country, of his service. Kathy Dyer is the sort of woman the media ought to be paying attention to, not Cindy Sheehan. How many Kathy Dyers are there out there, who don't have CNN and the Today Show and the New York Times following them around? How many Kathy Dyers have lost a son, but remain true to his choices and honor his service for freedom's sake? I know there are a lot more Kathy Dyers than there are Cindy Sheehans.

At Dyer's funeral about 1,000 mourners were told about the kindness and drive of the college-bound honor student who had a lifelong interest in the military. Relatives said he chose the Marines as a way to serve his country and challenge himself.

"He saw this as just another way to measure himself, another test," said his father, John Dyer. "Chris didn't want to be less than the best at anything."

Janet Hertlein, whose son Michael grew up with Dyer, said Dyer loved the Marines.

"Chris and all those over there are fighting for all of us," Hertlein said.
And we have to honor them by not dishonoring the cause they fight for.