A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, August 07, 2005

Here's A Thought:

Why doesn't Congress just do its own job and let MLB worry about MLB. The world isn't going to end of a baseball player takes steroids and Congress isn't there to punish him. The world might end if Congress doesn't properly fund our military or make sure the terrorists cannot get in our country!

Yahoo News: Congress May Take Action on MLB Drug Use:

A member of the House committee that held hearings on steroid use in March says Congress may feel compelled to get involved in testing major league players for banned substances.

"At this point I think (the chances are) getting better and better because of baseball's inability to police their own players," Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., said Saturday on the ESPN program "Outside the Lines."
A Republican ought to know better than to get the government involved in things the Founder's did not charge it with getting involved in.

"I think (commissioner) Bud Selig and the players' association as well should allow us to have full disclosure when it comes to this matter, and all of these drug testing matters," said McHenry, a freshman congressman. "It's important to the integrity of the game. We're talking about our national pastime and who our kids look up to as heroes."

Major League Baseball has penalized its players for positive steroid tests since 2004. Selig wants more stringent testing by an independent authority and harsher punishments for steroid users, including a 50-game suspension for a first offense, 100 games for a second and a lifetime ban for a third.
Full disclosure? Under what authority? The "We want to spend all the taxpayers' money on things we aren't supposed to be interfering in" authority? I didn't know that was in the Constitution.

Baseball is our national pasttime, but it isn't that way because Congress made it so. MLB has been suspending players who test positive. It isn't as though players are openly taking steroids and the powers-that-be at MLB are laughing and looking the other way.

I think Congress should give us full disclosure on what exactly they are wasting our hard-earned money on, right down to the last little cent.