A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, August 29, 2005

Do I look like I care?

As a Catholic, I believe homosexuality is wrong. I also believe one should hate the sin, but love the sinner.

That said, I am extremely tired of popular culture shoving homosexuality into our faces at every available moment. I don't care to see gay characters on every television show, in every movie, and in every ad. I find their behavior, as I think most moral, religious people do, disgusting and immoral.

Of course, Liberals don't see it that way, so Hollywood, which tends to run Liberal doesn't see it that way, which means that there are countless gay characters on tv and in movies.

But it also seems that, no matter how many gay characters are on tv and in movies, gay groups are never happy. I daresay having every single character in every show and movie be gay would't make them happy.

And of course, they do their little studies to chastise the rest of us for not having more gay characters out there! How dare we!

Here is one, for example:

LOS ANGELES - Sixteen homosexual characters are depicted in network TV series scheduled for the 2005-06 season, a small increase over last year but still inadequate, the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation said Monday.

Out of 710 characters appearing on a regular or recurring basis on the six major broadcast networks in the new season, about 2 percent are gay, lesbian or bisexual, according to the group's annual study.

Last season, GLAAD counted 11 homosexual characters on network shows.

While there is no definitive figure available for the U.S. gay and lesbian population, GLAAD believes the number is "certainly higher" than that represented on network TV, spokesman Damon Romine said in an interview Monday.

"This is a shocking misrepresentation of reality and of the audience watching these programs," Romine added in the report of the group's findings.
Sixteen too many, if you ask me. Where does it say that every group has to be proportionally represented in entertainment? I don't see that many overweight people represented in main roles and according to other recent studies, a huge percentage of America is overweight.

I very highly doubt the percentage of the US population that is homosexual is much higher than that on television. And even if it is, is it really that important?

If we are really going to talk about a "shocking misrepresentation of reality and of the audience watching these programs," then why not discuss the fact that the vast majority of television and movie characters appear to be rich. Even when the characters aren't rich, their lifestyles far surpass those of all the middle class people I know.

So, if there is a need to inject true "reality" into the world of entertainment, I really don't think homosexuality is at the top of the list.