A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, August 01, 2005

Thank God

Yahoo News: Senate Lacks Votes for Stem Cell Override:

Senate supporters of a measure to ease restrictions on embryonic stem cell research lack the votes to override a threatened veto by President Bush, a top proponent of the research says.

A favorable Senate vote is considered more likely now that Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., has reversed his position to support more federal dollars for research. However, a Senate vote would not matter if, as lawmakers predicted, a Bush veto stands in the House.

Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), who is sponsoring a bill easing restrictions that Bush put in place, said Frist gave his side "a big boost." A vote on the measure could come in September.
Have I mentioned I really don't like Arlen Specter? And way to go, Bill Frist, giving encouragement to the wrong side.

This is good news. I hope President Bush stands firm and sticks to his morals on this issue. He already gave in enough when he allowed any federal funding back in August 2001.

Supporters of the research believe that stem cells, which potentially can grow into any type of tissue in the body, hold the promise of one day treating Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, cancer, diabetes, spinal cord injuries and more.(emphasis added)
Well, potentially, I could be the Queen of England. Not likely though.

However, even supporters allow that successful stem cell treatments are still years away. Foes of the research consider it the equivalent of abortion because embryos must be destroyed to harvest the stem cells.

"And this is an innocent human life," Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) said on ABC's "This Week." "You're destroying this life for the purpose of research which has questionable value."
I don't merely consider it the equivalent of abortion, it is the equivalent of abortion. That's like saying that taking the beating heart out of someone who is living is considered by foes of the research to be equivalent to murder. There wouldn't be a question: it is murder.