A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, July 29, 2005

Frist Loses Presidency

So, Mr. Bill Frist, Senate Majority Leader, Republican Senator from the State of Tennessee, Medical Doctor Extraordinaire, has decided that Embryonic Stem Cell Research is alright with him! Yippie!

Except, that I don't think Embryonic Stem Cell Research is alright. In fact, I think it is morally reprehensible and disgusting and all things evil and wicked.

And I'm extremely angry at Mr. "I-haven't-got-guts-I-only-operate-on-them" Bill Frist. And President Bush who opened the door for the use of our money when he allowed the government to fund limited research in August 2001.

When one uses embryonic stem cells, one is using bits of body from basically murdered and discarded babies. Mr. Frist called this "promising." It is the same thing as using the organs of executed federal prisoners or how about any prisoners in for life. They certainly don't need both kidneys or eyeballs, for that matter. After all, that promises to save quite a few more lives and we don't even have to wait years and years before any research pays off even a tiny bit. We already do all sorts of organ operations.

Here are Mr. Frist's comments on the Floor of the Senate regarding this heinous practice.
This bill would allow federal funding of embryonic stem cell research for cells derived from human embryos that:

1. are created for the purpose of fertility treatments;
2. are no longer needed by those who received the treatments;
3. would otherwise be discarded and destroyed;
4. are donated for research with the written, informed consent of those who received the fertility treatments, but do not receive financial or other incentives for their donations.

The bill, as written, has significant shortcomings, which I believe must be addressed.
First of all, I do not believe these embryos should be created. These scientists are "playing God," which is as morally reprehensible as murder in my eyes. Does he know what he is saying? Basically, since these embryos are going to be thrown away, we might as well get as much use out of them as we can. Well, since we're only going to let those prisoners rot in jail, might as well get as much use out of them as we can. In fact, why not use them for medical research----kind of like the Nazis did to the concentration camp prisoners. Fabulous idea!
I am pro-life. I believe human life begins at conception. It is at this moment that the organism is complete -- yes, immature -- but complete. An embryo is nascent human life. It’s genetically distinct. And it’s biologically human. It’s living. This position is consistent with my faith. But, to me, it isn’t just a matter of faith. It’s a fact of science.

One cannot be pro-embryonic stem cell research and pro-life. That is kind of like vegetarians who won't eat meat because cows had to die, but then trot around in leather shoes and belts.

As I heard Tony Snow say on his radio show today, Mr. Frist is throwing out his faith in favor of science. I believe he has also thrown out any chance at the presidency in 2008 and beyond. I, for one, will not be supporting him in any way.

As our Senate Majority leader, Mr. Frist is supposed to work for what we want. Those of us who are good, moral, faithful people must not and will not agree that Embryonic Stem Cell Research is alright.

As Tony Snow said, one must decide for himself whether even something that is "promising" is worth it if one must allow the destruction of human life. I, for one, will never believe that destroying an innocent human life in the form of an embryo to cure anything is alright. Never. I would rather die from cancer than receive a cure made from the dead bodies of slain babies.

You might also consider who is happy that Frist has come out for Embryonice Stem Cell Research: Nancy Reagan (who let's her grief dictate her conscience), Arlen Specter (one of my least favorite senators and a true R.I.N.O.), Dianne Feinstein (horrid Liberal), and Harry Reid (horrid Liberal).

Also consider the fact that embryonic stem cells have been researched for years and still have not produced any results.

Also consider the fact that Mr. Bush and Mr. Frist are allowing the use of our money to use the murdered bodies of slain babies.

Here is some research and Pro-Life information on Embryonic Stem Cell Research.

Let Mr. Frist know what you think about his lack of moral fortitude here.

Let the RNC know that you will not stand for this sort of thing here.

-Chairman Ken Mehlman

-Co-Chair Jo Ann Davidson

-Finance

-Political

-Member Relations