A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, August 13, 2007

Iron Man Working For State

Cal Ripken, Jr. has a new job! He's going to be working for the State Department.

AP: Baseball's Iron Man says 'magic of sport' will trump politics in new diplomatic role---

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sports, not politics, will be Baseball Hall of Famer Cal Ripken, Jr.'s emphasis in his new role as a special envoy for the State Department.

"This isn't a political statement for me, necessarily," Ripken said Monday after Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice formally announced his appointment. "This is about the kids and planning baseball and using baseball for good reasons."

Ripken, who set the Major League record for consecutive games played -- 2,632 games in a row, earning him the nickname "Iron Man" -- said he was ready for the task, which will take him first to China at the end of October.

The first commissioner of President Bush's White House tee-ball league for youngsters, the former Baltimore Oriole said he would promote teamwork and cross-cultural communication.

Rice, a well-known sports fan, introduced Ripken as a wholesome symbol of America who represents "our aspirations to be a better nation and to help build a better world."
What a perfect ambassador for our country! I have nothing but respect for Cal. He is truly a man among men.

Labels: , ,