A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, July 21, 2006

Northern Border Security and Immigration

Crossposted from Right Truth:

In short, security along the northern border of the USA and Canada leaves a lot to be desired. Entering Canada from the USA at Sault Ste. Marie was a joke. We were asked if we had any alcohol or tobacco and if we had ever been to Canada before. That's it. The border guard did ask us to pull over and go inside to get out passports stamped. Inside another guard ran our passports through a computer check while outside four guards sat on a bench beside our car. Not one took the opportunity to look inside, check suitcases, bags, or cooler.

The back of our Durango was loaded with five suitcases, one back pack, a cooler, and several smaller bags. I had my fanny pack over my arm and rested it on the counter in front of the border guard. The fanny pack is made for carrying a handgun, which I left at home. I thought sure the guard would want to look inside, but nope. I could have had my gun and no one would have known. We could have had several suitcase bombs and who knows what else.

Crossing the border from Canada back into the USA was even more pathetic. We were asked again if we had any alcohol or tobacco and what we had purchasesd in Canada. The border guard glanced in the back and that was the extent of his inspection. We only noticed one car being pulled over. Sad.

Numbers USA has begun running a commercial on national TV news and talk shows. This campaign should last all summer.

Numbersusa Education and Research Foundation is running the ads to help people understand the magnitude of the immigration problem—and to show them there is something they can do by joining the rest of you in the fight to REDUCE the numbers.
You can go to their website and view the commercials.

You can read all
about our travels here
.

**This was a production of The Coalition Against Illegal Immigration (CAII). If you would like to
participate, please go to the above link to learn more. Afterwards, email the coalition and let
me know at what level you would like to participate.**

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,