A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, July 25, 2006

God Works In Mysterious Ways

I only happened to look at this story because I am quite interested in Ireland and (ancient) books, and, of course, my Catholic faith. But, there was something far more interesting, and relevant to today's world, in the story.

First, the article:

AP: Ireland worker finds ancient psalms in bog---

DUBLIN, Ireland - Irish archaeologists Tuesday heralded the discovery of an ancient book of psalms by a construction worker who spotted something while driving the shovel of his backhoe into a bog.

The approximately 20-page book has been dated to the years 800-1000. Trinity College manuscripts expert Bernard Meehan said it was the first discovery of an Irish early medieval document in two centuries.

"This is really a miracle find," said Pat Wallace, director of the National Museum of Ireland, which has the book stored in refrigeration and facing years of painstaking analysis before being put on public display.

"There's two sets of odds that make this discovery really way out. First of all, it's unlikely that something this fragile could survive buried in a bog at all, and then for it to be unearthed and spotted before it was destroyed is incalculably more amazing."
What a fortuitious and blessed find! I imagine it is beautiful . . . or will be, once it is cleaned up. You can see a picture of it in the mud here. What a discovery!

But, what is more interesting, is the way God works:

The book was found open to a page describing, in Latin script, Psalm 83, in which God hears complaints of other nations' attempts to wipe out the name of Israel.
And aren't they still trying to wipe out the name of Israel?

No coincidence, I think. God's work.

Pslam 83 says, in part:

2 God, do not be silent; God, be not still and unmoved!
3 See how your enemies rage; your foes proudly raise their heads.
4 They conspire against your people, plot against those you protect.
5 They say, "Come, let us wipe out their nation; let Israel's name be mentioned no more!"
6 They scheme with one mind, in league against you:
It just gives me chills. See how very applicable it is in this day and age?

And this will, I know, be just as applicable:

14 My God, turn them into withered grass, into chaff flying before the wind.
15 As a fire raging through a forest, a flame setting mountains ablaze,
16 Pursue them with your tempest; terrify them with your storm.
17 Cover their faces with shame, till they pay you homage, LORD.
18 Let them be dismayed and shamed forever; let them perish in disgrace.
19 Show them you alone are the LORD, the Most High over all the earth.
Amen. Thy Will be done.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,