A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Thursday, May 04, 2006

Praying in Uniform Outside the White House is a Crime

This is incredibly wrong. Would George Washington have objected to his generals praying in the Name of Our Lord, Jesus Christ? I don't think so. And neither should the Navy today.

I first posted about this back in December.

It appears things have just got worse.

NBC: Navy Chaplain May Face Court-Martial For Praying

Navy Chaplain Lt. Gordon Klingenschmitt's crime: praying in uniform outside the White House, at "a protest against Department of Defense rules forbidding military chaplains from invoking the name of Jesus Christ."

He's accused of violating an order not to appear in uniform at news conferences in support of personal or religious issues.

The issue seems to hinge on whether his praying at the event was permissible participation at a bona fide religious service. Klingenschmitt is rejecting non-judicial punishment in favor of trial by court-martial.
Whatever happened to freedom of religion?

Now, I know that when one is in the military, one's very freedoms are restricted and subject to commanding officers and the UCMJ. But, this is completely wrong.

Lt. Klingenschmitt should not be punished for praying in the way Christians pray. Could there be anything more hurtful and wrong than to deny a Christian the right to pray to Jesus Christ? After all, Jesus Christ died for all our sins.

If the Navy intends to prosecute over this, then they better be prepared to prosecute every Muslim "chaplain" who prays in the name of Allah. La di da.

Of course, being Muslim is 100% ok, while being a Christian is a horrid thing these days. Christians are so evil---always flying planes into buildings and blowing themselves up, along with lots of innocent people. Oh, wait, that would be the Muslims.

This is one time where I will not be saying "Go Navy."

(Curtsy to Drudge.)

Technorati Tags: , , , ,