A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, April 24, 2006

"I'd have done it again"

AP: Bush Says He Has No Doubts on Iraq Choice---

IRVINE, Calif. - President Bush said Monday the United States has made some missteps in Iraq but that his decision to send in American troops to topple Saddam Hussein was the right call.

"On the big decisions of sending the troops in, I'd have done it again," Bush told a questioner after a speech here on immigration.

Bush said a new democracy is arising in Iraq where there once was tyranny. Over the weekend, Bush talked with Iraqi leaders who were named Saturday to form a coalition government.

"Each one of them said, `We want to have a national unity government. We're sick of the sectarian violence. We believe if you stand with us, we can achieve our objective of becoming a democracy that listens to the people,'" Bush said.

"And I believe them. And I believe them. And I told them, I said, `Look, it's going to be up to you to make it work, but you can count on the United States of America, because we believe in liberty and the capacity of liberty to change lives and to change a neighborhood for a more peaceful tomorrow.'"

Bush's comments were echoed by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who said Iraq's new leadership provides the best opportunity to rein in rival militia groups blamed for a furious surge in sectarian killings.
(emphasis added)

I am glad to see the President and the Secretary of State standing by the invasion of Iraq. The liberation of 25 million people is not something that ought to be dismissed. Despite mistaken intelligence or, as the President said, "missteps," what we have done in Iraq is a very important thing. One which will have a huge impact on the world. The Iraqi people just need to take control of their country.

I genuinely believe this will happen and I believe wholeheartedly that going into Iraq was the best thing to do for the Iraqi people, the Middle East, the United States, and the World.

We cannot lose our resolve and our Faith in Freedom.

More from the Washington Post.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,