A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Wise Words From A Founding Father

From The Presidential Prayer Team:

Tuesday, January 17 was the 300th anniversary of Founding Father Ben Franklin’s birth. While many contend that his faith in God was marginal, shaped more after the deist model than the Christian beliefs, there is much evidence to the contrary.

Known for his inventions, exemplary wisdom and insightful solutions to problems, Benjamin Franklin played a key role the Constitutional Convention.

At a point of impasse over the representation of large states vs. small ones, the eighty-one-year old Franklin asserted, “I have lived, sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: That God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured, sir, in the Sacred Writing, that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this...I therefore beg leave to move that henceforth, prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven and its blessings on our deliberations be held in this assembly every morning.”

For his reliance on God and his call to seek His help through public prayer for the leaders of the young nation, we honor and applaud Benjamin Franklin today.