A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, January 18, 2006

We Love Budget Cutters!

Fox News: Pressure Tactics Appear Futile on GOP Backers of Budget Cut---

WASHINGTON — Outside interest groups are trying to pressure moderate Republicans in competitive swing districts to defeat a $39.7 billion budget cut package that is up for a second final vote during the week Congress returns.

But many of those members say they are quite satisfied with the legislation before them, and Republicans add they aren't concerned that the monumental "deficit reduction" bill could be ill-fated under political pressures.

"I'm not going to predict anything, but we've had a very successful operation in getting our agenda passed and we're confident we'll be successful a second time around," said Sean Spicer, spokesman for the House Republican Caucus.

On Dec. 19, the House passed on a partisan 212-206 vote – with 16 not voting – on the conference report for the 2006 Budget Reconciliation bill. Two days later, the Senate approved the measure 51 to 50, with Vice President Dick Cheney forced to return early from an overseas trip to break the tie. Because the Senate made some slight procedural changes to the legislation, the bill must go back to the House for a final vote when the body returns from winter break.
We need a massive cut in the budget. Why does the government have to spend so much money? There are countless useless, expensive, and silly programs and bills. Just get rid of them! I want my money to stay with me, not go to someone who didn't work for it.

See how your Rep voted here.