A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, January 27, 2006

Is Injustice Ruth "Fair and evenhanded?"

I don't think so.

I just got this little thing in a newsletter from our horrid "Senator" Patty Murray. That's funny. I don't remember signing up for her news. I found it in my spam folder in my e-mail: the appropriate place for it, obviously.

No surprise: the "Mom in Tennis Shoes" (who really ought to be called "the Clown in Tennis Shoes," though I don't know how often she wears those, since she is mostly in DC) plans to vote against Judge Samuel Alito. Way to listen to all your constituents, Patty!

No on Alito

This week I announced that I will vote against the nomination of Judge Samuel Alito to fill Justice Sandra Day O’Connor’s seat on the Supreme Court.

I recognize the significance of a seat on the United States Supreme Court. The Constitution directs Senators to provide advice and consent on all judicial nominees, and the people of Washington state have trusted me to be their advocate and to safeguard their rights as I vote on judicial nominees. I take that responsibility very seriously. That's why I've reviewed Judge Alito's past writings, studied his answers to the Senate Judiciary Committee, and asked to meet with him in my office.

As I have set out in the past, my standards are: Is the nominee qualified, ethical and honest? Will the nominee be fair, evenhanded and independent? And will the nominee uphold the rights and liberties of all Americans?
I am comfortable that Judge Alito is qualified, honest and ethical. Whether he will be fair and evenhanded is another question. As was discussed at his hearing, he has a troubling record of voting for the government and corporations and against individuals. He seems to favor the entrenched power over the little guy. His record does not give me the confidence that everyone who comes before the Court will be treated fairly.

I am also deeply concerned about Judge Alito's independence. We rely on our courts to be a critical check and balance against government abuse. That independent check helps to protect our rights. This is especially important today because of the growing questions about the expansion of executive power. The Supreme Court will need to evaluate whether recent executive actions are constitutional. Here, Judge Alito's unbalanced, minority view of the scope of executive power tells me he does not have the independence to be an adequate check on government abuse of our rights.

Finally, I have serious doubts that Judge Alito will uphold our rights and liberties. One example is his hostility to the right to privacy. In the hearings, he refused to say that Roe v. Wade is "settled law," and he did not adequately explain his 1985 statement that the "Constitution does not protect a right to an abortion."

The next justice will have the power to change the Court, change the country, and change our rights for generations. Judge Alito has a very troubling record. In his hearing and in our private meeting, he did not show he will be an independent judge who will uphold the rights and liberties of all Americans. With our rights and freedoms on the line, I will not take a chance on Judge Alito because I have serious questions about his independence and commitment to protecting our rights and liberties.

For more on the Alito vote:
http://murray.senate.gov/news.cfm?id=250775 (Emphasis added)
Oh, like Ginsburg, Souter, Stevens, and Breyer are "fair and evenhanded" or treat everyone fairly. Apparently it only matters if one follows the Liberal idea of "fair and evenhanded," which means subverting the Constitution, giving special rights to small, fringe groups, and treating the Majority as though we had the Plague.

I have serious questions about Patty Murray's abilities to be a senator. Unfortunately, the majority of people in my horrid Blue State are too moronic to realize what a dunderhead she is (at least the West Side of the State). Apparently they breath in too much smoke from all their Pot.

If you follow the link you get even more PMS (Patty Murray S***) about why Judge Alito isn't good enough, etc., etc., etc.

Fortunately, the Republicans have a majority in the Senate (though they don't seem to remember this fact), despite the concerted efforts of R.I.N.O.s like Arlen Specter, Olympia Snowe, and Susan Collins to turn the power over to the Democrats. I think in a few weeks we will have a lovely new Justice on the Supreme Court, who will be a powerful counterweight to Injustices like Ginsburg, Souter, Stevens, Breyer, and, generally, Kennedy.

Thank God.