A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, December 20, 2005

No More Pens

I would have thought they would have done this long, long, long ago. All those precious books.

This Is London: British library to ban pens---


The British Library is banning pens from all of its reading rooms to protect its precious books.

The home of the Magna Carta and Lindisfarne Gospels will only allow in scholars with pencils.

A spokeswoman said: "This policy is intended to protect the most precious and vulnerable collections that ink can cause.

"Marks made with ink are particularly difficult to remove and sometimes defaced books cannot be replaced and have to be withdrawn from use."

The pencils-only policy comes into force from January next year.

Pens have already been banned from its Rare Books and Music, Manuscripts, Maps, Oriental and India Office and Philatelic Reading Rooms.

The ban will be extended to all reading rooms at St Pancras, as well as the reading room at Boston Spa.