A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, December 19, 2005

More Progress for Freedom

AP: Elected Parliament in Afghanistan Convenes---

KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghanistan's first popularly elected parliament in more than three decades convened Monday, marking a major step toward democracy following the ouster of the hardline Taliban.
---
After the delegates were sworn in, President Hamid Karzai called the gathering a display of Afghan unity.

"This gathering shows that all of the people of Afghanistan are unified," Karzai said. "This is an important step toward democracy."

He said the approval of a constitution and the establishment of the National Assembly "bring us all under one roof to discuss our problems."

The 249-seat body is an eclectic mix of tribal leaders, Westernized former refugees, warlords, women, and ethnic minorities, in itself a victory for a nation recovering from a ruinous civil war.

Afghans voted for the lower house in September, and also elected provincial councils that then chose two-thirds of the 102-seat upper chamber. Karzai appointed the remaining 34.