A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, December 04, 2005

Democracy for Hong Kong

AP: Tens of Thousands March in Hong Kong---

HONG KONG - Pressure mounted for Hong Kong and Beijing leaders to respond to calls for full democracy in this Chinese territory as tens of thousands of protesters marched Sunday, demanding the right to choose their leaders.

Outside the government's headquarters, protesters demanded Hong Kong leader Donald Tsang respond immediately to calls for a roadmap specifying when and how the territory can have universal suffrage, promised as an eventual goal under its mini-constitution.

"I can't think of anywhere else in the world that you can have such large number of people turning out in such a peaceful manner to ask for something which is of their own right," said Ronny Tong, a lawmaker and march organizer.

Organizers said the protest drew 250,000 people — far exceeding analysts' forecast of between 50,000 and 100,000. Police put the turnout at 63,000.
---
Some analysts say Beijing is stalling on democratic reforms because the Communist leadership fears that it would lose control of Hong Kong's government — which under a democracy would care more about answering to the public.
First Hong Kong. Then the rest of China.