A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, December 02, 2005

Random Bag Searches are OK

AFP: Judge dismisses challenge to bag searches on New York subway---

NEW YORK (AFP) - A US federal judge ruled that random bag searches on the New York subway were constitutional, dismissing a lawsuit brought against the city by a civil rights group.

In his ruling, District Judge Richard Berman concluded that the invasion of privacy inherent in the searches was justified by the importance of preventing a terrorist attack.

The New York Civil Liberties Union, which had sought to end the searches on the grounds that they violated the constitutional rights of passengers and were ineffective, said it would appeal the ruling.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg welcomed the judge's decision.

"Unfortunately, we live in a time when terrorist attacks are a very real possibility, and we must be vigilant in our security measures," Bloomberg said in a statement.

"We have an obligation to keep this city safe and the (police) will continue to use reasonable precautions like bag searches to do so," he added.

City officials introduced random searches of passenger belongings on the subway following the series of deadly bomb attacks on the London transport system in July.

Apart from some grumbles, there has been little public outcry over the policy.
Previous Post: "What's Common Sense?" asks the ACLU, 4 August 2005