A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, November 13, 2005

We want fiscal conservatism!

This is what happens when, despite the people electing a majority of you into both the Senate and House AND into the Presidency, you continually give on on your agenda and let the other party, which is in the minority, take control.

AP: GOP's Legislative Agenda Losing Steam---

WASHINGTON - A year's work hangs in the balance for the Republican-controlled Congress, its conservative agenda sketched confidently last winter: cut taxes, open wildlife refuge in Alaska to oil drilling, and hold down the cost of health, education and nutrition programs that serve millions.

The agenda is the same. But the confidence is shaken by President Bush's sagging poll numbers, an unstable leadership lineup in the House and growing concern about congressional elections less than a year away.

"Where you stand depends on where you sit," says GOP Rep. Rob Simmons. In his case, it's a district in Connecticut that Democrat John Kerry captured handily in the 2004 presidential race.

Simmons, in his third term, also is unhappy with the deficit-cutting bill ardently sought by the conservatives who hold sway in his party.

Across the Capitol, moderate Sen. Olympia Snowe balks at extending reduced rates on income from investments, leaving Republicans on the Senate Finance Committee without a majority to advance $64 billion in tax cuts.

"We're in a different economic environment," said the Maine Republican, who so far has no Democratic challenger in her 2006 race. "We've had three back-to-back hurricanes" that have cost billions.

The Finance Committee chairman, Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, said: "If I move one way, I lose a couple votes. If I move another way, I lose a couple votes."

The same predicament applies in the House, where the leadership is short of the votes needed to cut projected deficits by $50 billion or more over the next decade.

The original target was $35 billion. But that was before conservatives intervened this fall with a demand for deeper reductions to offset at some of the billions spent on cleanup and reconstruction from Hurricane Katrina and other storms
. So, the article quotes some R.I.N.O.s. The Conservative base WANTS the people they elected to CUT the budget, not spend. The reasons Republicans are losing steam is because they have been acting like spendaholics, rather than fiscal conservatives.

If we wanted R.I.N.O.s to run the country, we would have elected John McCain or, really, we would have elected an outright Lib like John Kerry.

Thanks, Congress! You're great.

Update: This is how the headline should read. It is from Fox News.

Moderates Derail GOP Agenda