A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, November 25, 2005

"Positive Discrimination"???

Is that possible?

Reuters: French report rejects plan to aid minorities---

PARIS (Reuters) - A report drawn up for the French government has rejected calls for "positive discrimination" to help minorities find jobs, dealing a blow to Interior Minister and presidential hopeful Nicolas Sarkozy.

Sarkozy has challenged President Jacques Chirac by calling for affirmative action to help tackle high unemployment among minorities, seen as one of the causes of three weeks of rioting in poor suburbs that abated last week.

But the report -- prepared by the High Council on integration, a panel of academics and cultural figures -- backed Chirac's view that positive discrimination or setting quotas for hiring minorities has no place in a state built on the belief that everyone should have equal opportunities.

"The worst result of the current crisis ... would be to succumb to the temptation to do away with the Republican promise of equal rights and opportunity in place of positive discrimination and ethnic and communal policies," said the government-commissioned report, released on Thursday. (emphasis added)
Absolutely right! Which, really, is surprising coming from the French.

By making the playing field uneven, though supposedly "evening it," by giving some a head start and a higher score, does not lead to equality in any way.

If one wants to get somewhere in life, he must do it through determination, hard work, and faith, not government handing it to him.