A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, November 28, 2005

Forget the People! Save the Animals!

AFP: McCartney boycotts China over dog, cat brutality---

Rock star Paul McCartney said he will never perform in China after watching a disturbing secret video of dogs and cats in a market being slaughtered for fur.

The video, from the German branch of the animal rights group PETA, shows caged dogs in wire cages being hurled from the top deck of a converted double-decker bus onto a concrete pavement at a market in southern Chinese.

In another piece of footage, cats are seen squirming inside a sack before being thrown into a vat of boiling water. Smiling, laughing workers are also filmed senselessly beating the animals to death.

The animals, including some PETA said appeared to have been stolen from their owners, were also seen being skinned for their fur to be used in garments for export aboard.

"This is barbaric. Horrific. It's like something out of the dark ages. And they seem to get a kick out of it. They're just sick, sick people," McCartney told BBC television in an interview to be aired later Monday.

"I wouldn't even dream of going over there to play, in the same way that I wouldn't go to a country that supported apartheid (in South Africa)," the former Beatle said. "This is just disgusting."

McCartney's wife Heather and designer daughter Stella are both active in PETA, or People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, which posted the video on its British website (www.peta.org.uk).
As a dog lover, that sort of thing is extremely horrible and makes me want to cry.

Still, has Sir Paul ever heard how the people of China are treated? It takes animal cruelty to bar him from performing in the Commie Country?