A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Elitists vs. True Americans

Here we have yet another example of a Hollywood production beloved by the media, but rejected by real Americans. And never the twain shall meet.

Reuters: FX network ends Iraq war drama 'Over There'---

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Cable television's FX channel has decided not to renew the critically praised Iraq war drama "Over There" for a second season due to weak ratings during the show's initial 13-episode run, the network said on Tuesday.

While "Over There" garnered mostly favorable reviews, the gritty, albeit fictionalized, depiction of a real war that has grown increasingly unpopular with the American public ultimately proved a turnoff to TV viewers.

Although the series contained references to real-life events that have stirred debate over the war, including the Abu Ghraib prisoner-abuse scandal, the producers sought to avoid overt political messages about the conflict.

The show got off to a promising start on July 27 with 4.1 million viewers tuning in, a fairly healthy launch by cable TV standards, but the audience steadily declined from there.

Through the 13th and final episode on October 26, the program averaged a meager 2.1 million viewers overall. Only 1.35 million watched the series finale.

"It became evident to us that the American public didn't want to see a dramatization of a war that was already going on," Yemaya Royce, a spokeswoman for Bochco's production company, told Reuters.

"It made people uncomfortable to watch. I think that was the case for a lot of people," FX spokesman John Solberg added. "Clearly it was subject matter that was harsh."
I never watched the show, but I daresay family members of military personnel who are over there, risking their lives and limbs for us, don't care to watch a Lib Hollywood version that might make their loved ones out to be evil murderers, as Libs are fond of doing.

Good riddance. I hope someone (not the fiction movie maker Michael Moore) will tell the true, honorable story of what our military men and women are doing in Iraq, Afghanistan, southeast Asia, New Orleans, and all over the world.