A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Who is normal?

Washington Post: The Abortion Debate No One Wants to Have
By Patricia E. Bauer---

SANTA MONICA, Calif. -- If it's unacceptable for William Bennett to link abortion even conversationally with a whole class of people (and, of course, it is), why then do we as a society view abortion as justified and unremarkable in the case of another class of people: children with disabilities?

I have struggled with this question almost since our daughter Margaret was born, since she opened her big blue eyes and we got our first inkling that there was a full-fledged person behind them.

Whenever I am out with Margaret, I'm conscious that she represents a group whose ranks are shrinking because of the wide availability of prenatal testing and abortion. I don't know how many pregnancies are terminated because of prenatal diagnoses of Down syndrome, but some studies estimate 80 to 90 percent.

Imagine. As Margaret bounces through life, especially out here in the land of the perfect body, I see the way people look at her: curious, surprised, sometimes wary, occasionally disapproving or alarmed. I know that most women of childbearing age that we may encounter have judged her and her cohort, and have found their lives to be not worth living.

To them, Margaret falls into the category of avoidable human suffering. At best, a tragic mistake. At worst, a living embodiment of the pro-life movement. Less than human. A drain on society. That someone I love is regarded this way is unspeakably painful to me.
Read the rest.

It is a very interesting point. Why do we "allow" talk and action in regards to one group of human beings, but such talk and no action in regards to another group is met with outrage and accusations of racism?

Where is the outrage over the murder of human beings who do not fit perfectly into the "normal" mold? And as liberals are fond of saying, what is normal?

How do we judge normal? If normal can be anything, then babies with Down Syndrome are normal.

If normal isn't anything we want, then perhaps we should look into eliminating others who are not normal. I say we start with the fringe wacko Left, the kind that go around with countless piercings, all dirty, with spiked pink hair, who decide to live in trees. How about the homeless? Obviously they are suffering.

People with Down Syndrome are just as precious, just as human as everyone else. They have the right to life just like we do.

We mustn't forget them.

(Curtsy to K-Lo)