A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, August 24, 2005

"They may take away our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!"

Yesterday, 23 August 2005, was the 700th anniversary of the death of William Wallace. Those who have seen Mel Gibson's movie Braveheart know at least something about William Wallace, but to find out more, read this wonderful article by Mr. Lawrence W. Reed.

Here is an exerpt:
Mel Gibson’s epic film "Braveheart," released in 1995, introduced many non-Scots to one of our greatest heroes, William Wallace. A fierce and uncompromising Scottish patriot, Wallace gave English invaders fits for years until his capture on August 5, 1305. He was hauled to London to face charges of insurrection, found guilty and brutally executed by Edward I exactly seven centuries ago today, on August 23, 1305.
Wallace's stuggle for freedom continues around the world, so it is fitting to honor him.

I would relate
How Wallace fought for Scotland; left the name
Of 'Wallace' to be found like a wild flower
All over his dear country; left the deeds
Of Wallace, like a family of ghosts
To people the steeps rocks and river banks
Her natural sanctuaries, with a local soul
Of independence and stern Liberty
    • ... William Wordsworth
You can find more about William Wallace here, here, and here.

(Hat tip: John Miller at NRO's the Corner)