A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, July 01, 2005

Apparently, "Afghan Progress in Danger of Unraveling"

If you click on the link, pay attention to the URL. It says "afghanistan_on_the_brink." Isn't this just a bit of an over-reaction? On the brink of what? Becoming a true free and democratic country? Throwing off the shadow of the Taliban? I highly doubt all the good we have done, along with good Afghanis, will suddenly collapse. The media just likes to freak out when someone gets a mosquito bite.

Afghanistan was held up as an example of U.S.-led nation-building just three months ago. But that optimism has succumbed to near-daily ambushes, bombings, execution-style killings and this week's downing of a U.S. military helicopter.

From U.S. and U.N. officials to Afghan villagers, fear is growing that this country may be at a seminal moment — with the barrage of violence in danger of overwhelming three years of state-building.
Of course, not a single U.S. or U.N. official is actually quoted in the story, other than a few U.S. soldiers, but, hey, they could be afraid.

But then again,
U.S. spokesman Lt. Col. Jerry O'Hara said the military now believes the violence is likely to continue. "No matter what the enemy throws at us, it is no match for the joint efforts of the Afghan security forces and the coalition," he said.
Yeah, he sounds afraid. I'm sure he thinks the Taliban's remaining men will be able to defeat the greatest military in the world.

In other news, American progress, begun about 229 years ago, has been in grave danger of unraveling. Fortunately, the Conservatives have won the last 3 elections and things are looking up.