A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, February 23, 2007

"Remember, God made Men equal."

THIS POST WILL REMAIN AT THE TOP UNTIL AFTER FRIDAY, 23 FEBRUARY 2007. Please scroll down for new posts.

On Friday, 23 February, a movie I have been looking forward to for more than a year will finally be released.

It is titled Amazing Grace and tells the story of William Wilberforce, an Englishman who fought for the abolition of slavery in England. This year, 2007, marks the 200th anniversary of the abolition of slavery in Britain.

At first, I wanted to see it because one of my favorite actors, Ioan Gruffudd, is the playing role of Wilberforce. Over the past year, I have heard a lot of good things about it from a wide variety of sources, and I am convinced it will be a inspiration, moral Christian movie that we all ought to see.

Who was William Wilberforce?

William Wilberforce was born in Hull, England in 1759, and first elected to the House of Commons at the age of 21. During his time in Parliament, Wilberforce led the political battle to abolish slavery and its trade throughout the British Empire. He introduced numerous bills to Parliament in the 18th and early 19th centuries, all of which were defeated. In hopes of persuading the British government to support abolition, Wilberforce and his fellow abolitionists scoured the England, collecting evidence of the slave trade’s crimes. As part of this effort, Wilberforce collected 390,000 signatures from British citizens in support of the anti-slavery cause.

Finally, after 20 years of struggle, Wilberforce saw the end of the British slave trade when his 1807 abolition bill passed by a large majority. Twenty-six years later, just three days before his death, slavery was abolished across all British colonies as well. Despite chronic illness and repeated defeat of his anti-slavery bills in Parliament, Wilberforce persisted in his mission to abolish injustice in the world. For his abiding courage and conviction, Wilberforce earned the title, “conscience of Parliament.”
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Patricia Heaton (from Everybody Loves Raymond), a good Catholic, and her husband David Hunt are some of the producers of Amazing Grace, which gives me even more confidence that this will be a beautiful, faithful film.

Please, please, visit the website, watch the trailers, read all about Wilberforce and the film, and then go see the movie.

The trailer brings tears to my eyes. Ioan Gruffudd is an excellent actor and I know he will do an exquisite job as Wilberforce.

Also, visit TheAmazingChange.com, A Campaign to Carry On Wilberforce's Vision of Mercy and Justice, and become an abolitionist. Slavery is still practiced in certain parts of the world. I believe that all men were created equal, by God, and that no man can own another. Do you?

Click here to sign the petition to outlaw slavery. It will be presented to the US House and Senate, and world leaders.

Plus, 10 Things You Can Do To End Slavery.

Here, you can download an Amazing Grace Study Guide, Amazing Grace Faith Guide, the Olney Hymns, Sheet Music for Amazing Grace, and more.

Go see Amazing Grace on Friday (in the US).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,