A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, April 14, 2006

Opposing Force

The Gentlemen who brought us The Officers' Club, have moved and changed the name of their blog.

It is now called OPFOR, which is military slang for "Opposing Force."

They made the changes for a number of reasons. You can read the whole thing here.

Basically,

The OC really took off. And I when I say it really took off, I mean it really flippin' took off. After about a month and a half of blogging (we started in late Oct 05), Charlie and I had three standing offers on the table to pull us off of blogspot and onto a more capable platform. In the end, it wasn't a difficult choice. Military.com, who also sponsors Defense Tech and Milblogging.com, picked us up, redesigned us, and found us a nice cozy home on their server. They wanted us to help them connect military folks with the benefits and services found on their website, and we wanted them to help us plug their 6 million members into the blogosphere. Not a bad trade eh?

So why the name change? A few reasons, one being the fact that we felt bad calling ourselves "The Officers' Club" when some of our most loyal readers are enlisted troops. That and Officers' Club was clunky; it was two words too many and no one could get the punctuation straight.

OpFor works on a couple of different levels. In the military tongue, OpFor stands for "opposing force," an army-ism that we felt accurately summed up this grand experiment we call milblogging. Plus it's short and makes civilians feel important when they say it.
John and Charlie have a great blog.

AND I love the quote on the header, from my favorite poet, from one of his greatest poems:

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
-Alfred, Lord Tennyson
God bless, guys!

And a curtsy to Michelle Malkin for the information about the move.