A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Thursday, March 02, 2006

Some Interesting Things

Here are some of the interesting topics over at National Review Online today:

  • Jonah Goldberg ably takes on the "Crunchy Cons" with a column titled Huh?. Don't know what a "Crunchy Con" supposedly is? Read their blog at NRO. And thank God Jonah Goldberg is on our side. I haven't read Rod Dreher's new book, detailing Crunch Con-ism, but from what I have read on the blog, it isn't me. I don't think one must wear birkenstocks, buy organic foods, and basically sound like a hippie with some Conservative beads to be a good Conservative. Jonah does an excellent job explaining why.
  • John Derbyshire explains his rules of etiquette for bus and subway trips. He wrote a longer column about manners in 2002. Prospective gentlemen, please read (and non-gentlemen, I advise you to read it too and acquire some manners).
  • Kellyanne Conway posts about some hypocritical "Catholic" Democrats (though I really don't need to use both "hypocritical" AND "Democrat" in one sentence---they mean the same thing) who released a "House Democrats Release Historic Catholic Statement of Principles" earlier this week, the week during which Ash Wednesday occurs. As Kellyanne says,

    At one point the Democratic statement actually claims that "we work every day to advance respect for life," which may be true, if you count the caribou in the Arctic Refuge that are so precious they are worth the price of greater energy self-reliance for the U.S.
    They aren't really Catholics. The majority of the Dem women who signed this little hypocritical document are "On EMILY’s List's Website As 'Women We Helped Elect.'" EMILY's List promotes pro-choice women. That doesn't square with the Catholic Church or THE BIBLE.
  • Maximilian Pakaluk writes about Roots: Europe’s salvation, and focuses on a book written by "Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI) and Marcello Pera (a philosopher and president — not, unfortunately, king — of the Italian senate)" about Europe's fundamental problem.
At Woman Honor Thyself, Angel has a post about a military mom who lost her son and says we have to stick it out. Of course the MSM won't talk about her.

Angel also has a post about the Dubai Ports World Deal. Did you know:

The parent company of a Dubai-based firm at the center of a political storm in the US over the purchase of American ports participates in the Arab boycott against Israel, The Jerusalem Post has learned.
Nice place to do business with.

Michelle Malkin has another post about the DP World deal, titled We Are All Bigots Now. She's "sick of conservatives playing the race card to attack skeptics of the ports deal." Me too. I'm not a bigot because I have questions about something my elected representatives are doing. I'm an informed (well, trying to be) citizen, who is doing her Constitutional duty.

At Musing Minds, Kimsch notes that the Patriot Act has finally been re-approved. See who voted against it (including my stupid senator (well, I call her "not-my-sentaor"), the "I'm-no-rocket-scientist-but-I'm-a-mom-in-tennis-shoes" Patty Murray.

Just Barely Inside the Beltway tells us about how Ruth Ginsburg fell asleep! during a hearing. How unprofessional. Perhaps it is time for her to retire? Expose the Left has the video.