A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, February 28, 2006

More Hollywood Stupidity

IMDB.com:

Slovakia Outraged by 'Hostel'

Government officials in Slovakia have expressed their concern that new backpacker horror movie Hostel makes their country appear dangerous. The Eli Roth-directed movie, which shows three travelers heading to a Slovakian city and falling prey to a brutal torture ring, has caused outrage among the country's politicians, who feel it will tarnish their nation's reputation. Member of Parliament Tomas Galbavy says, "I am offended by this film. I think that all Slovaks should feel offended." Galbavy called Hostel, which was shot in the neighboring Czech Republic, "a monstrosity that does not at all reflect reality" and added it would "damage the good reputation of Slovakia."

Slovak culture minister Linda Heldichova adds, "We are unanimous in saying that this film damages the image of our country." But director Roth insists his aim in making the film was not to offend Slovakians but to highlight the ignorance of US cinema-goers. He says, "Americans do not even know that this country exists. My film is not a geographical work but aims to show Americans' ignorance of the world around them."
Here we have another example of a Hollywood idiot.

How does this highlight the ignorance of US cinema-goers? By creating a false impression?

Does this make sense? This Hollywood Director makes a film that casts Slovakia as a torturous, icky place, and then says that we are the ignorant ones?! How exactly does this "show Americans' ignorance of the world around them?" What about Roth's ignorance of Americans and the world? He's the one who made the film!