A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Thursday, February 23, 2006

Better Freedom Than Serfdom

Please head over to Woman Honor Thyself and read a most excellent post by Angel, titled Freedom's JusT AnotheR Word for Nothing Left to Lose.

Angel takes issue with this absurd portion an opinion piece titled When freedom's just another weapon:

"In the war on terror, as during the cold war, the ultimate weapon has been freedom: free elections, free speech, free trade, for instance. But Hamas's win in the Palestinian vote, protests over the Muhammad cartoons, and a US debate over an Arab firm managing six American ports have raised doubts about freedom's worth."
Freedom is worth everything. If some choose to disregard it and keep it from others, that does not diminish its worth, but only makes it that much more precious.

Freedom is like water in the desert. One values highly the amount one has, whether it is hundreds of gallons or three small bottles or a thimbleful.

And because freedom means men make their own choices, nothing is always consistently applied in life, in the world. That is what one must accept.

Better that than constant drudgery and serfdom.